Wednesday 7 May 2014

Walking

Of all the things I miss about Yorkshire, (other than family and friends) one of them is walking in the South Pennines and Yorkshire Dales.     I was so lucky to have it all on my doorstep and not a weekend could pass without me having a good refreshing ramble and many escapades involving bogs, marauding cattle and a few cliff hangers!!.   
Since moving to France and having much more time (you would think) I seem to have walked far less.    I have joined two walking clubs - one english speakers and one french.   They are both great but the walks are (dare I say) tame and rather flat plods (apols to walking club buddies - not your fault).    I like a good 10+ mile hike and 'a room with a view' for a picnic lunch (at the top of a good sized hill).   I will have to find some longer distance walking buddies soon.    
Actually I did meet a wonderful and very special new friend called Carol at our Franglais group. 
Carol loves walking, doesn't mind a challenge or getting lost......   
The other day we were pre walking a route for a walk I am leading in June for one of my walking clubs.    Carol is bi-lingual so I was glad to have her accompany me as we set off that Monday morning because the walk instructions were scant and in French.....    
We had only been walking half an hour before we took what turned out to be a wrong turning (oops).   Then, Carol mentioned casually that she has a terrible sense of direction and had no idea where we were, or which way to go.    Not only that, she had forgot her glasses and was as blind as a proverbial bat relying on me to read out loud with my terrible pronunciation.      It got worse.   Carol suggested we try using my compass (which I have carried in my back pack for about 15 years and never used).      She was convinced (and convincing) that we should head north..... we should have walked for about 2 hours that morning and finally limped back to our cars 4.5 hours later!!   Oh dear.    Fortunately Carol is a stalwart and took it all in her stride (literally).    A brave and funny wumin!   
Here is the map - in blue where we should have gone and in pink where we did go....
Only slightly the wrong direction????

No comments:

Post a Comment