Friday 30 May 2014

The chips are ready....

As we have trundled along in the caravan these past few weeks, it has reminded me of a funny story my Dad used to tell.    He was very funny at telling funny stories and usually laughed himself so much you were in stitches before you had heard the full story!

One of them was from way back 'in the old days' I am guessing about the 1950s when he and my mother were driving (in a big black Wolsley I think but no doubt my brothers will correct me on this) with their little caravan up in the north of Scotland.   His aunt was with them - Auntie Betty.   She was a real character and was nicknamed 'Durham' because she used to live at Durham Road in Edinburgh.
One day they were driving along while Durham was in the caravan with the chip pan on cooking chips!    
My Dad loved chips.
He remembered her 'chapping' on the window and shouting,
"Wullie, you better stop now, the chips are ready".


C. 1950s Wolseley (from web - not family in pic!)

No comments:

Post a Comment