Saturday 31 May 2014

Tablet

My mother used to make delicious tablet (it is like fudge but creamier) and butterscotch toffee and other treats like coconut ice and treacle toffee.   I am surprised we four had a tooth left in our heads.    We would go off to school with little packs in grease proof paper.    We never ever had school dinners and came home every day for a nutritious two or three course lunch.      My mother was forever making cakes and buns and we were forever eating them.

My sister Mary often makes the same tablet although she says she has found a better recipe - I doubt it.      Some of her family live in far flung corners of the world and she regularly posts tablet to them or if anyone is going to visit them or they come home to see her, out comes the pack of tablet ready for travel.    
So at any one time if you look up, the chances are some of Mary's tablet is winging its way across the sky to keep her sons happily munching.

Mary and I flew to Tbilisi a couple of years ago with all sorts of goodies stowed in our cases, including tablet.   One time she took a Christmas cake and brussel sprouts to Tbilisi.

On another occasion, one of Mary's sons left his tablet (posted down to him by his mum of course) in his office (in London at the time).    A thief broke in and among other stuff he nicked, he ate all the tablet!    The boss was more upset about the tablet!    The police even dusted the empty tin for prints.    So there might even be people sat in Wormwood Scrubs who have tried her delicious tablet.    
Here is my Mum's original recipe as written down by Mary.   I used to love scraping out the pan after when it was luke warm...mmmmm.

Tablet
1lb Caster sugar
2ozs Marg
half tin condensed milk
quarter pint milk


Put all in pan, dissolve slowly over low heat.
Bring to boil, stirring for 10 mins, put in sink (the pan she means) and beat till gets thicker and coats side of pan, says for 10mins but don't think it will take that long.   Should see it beginning to set.    Pour into greased tin. Mark squares when warm.

But of course I also love another kind of tablet.   That is my Google Nexus 7 which I received as a birthday gift from my family before we moved to France.   I cannot imagine life without it and am still learning all its features.   It does everything except make a cup of tea!


No comments:

Post a Comment