Saturday 3 May 2014

Professeur d'anglais

When we were at the 'lets-move-to-France-why-not' planning stage and I was first in the queue for voluntary severance from the NHS, I was offered some meager funding towards training for 'gainful employment' elsewhere.    Sounded good to me.  
I took a TEFL course having held a desire since being about 4/5 years old to be a bossy teacher type person.  Anyone who knows me well will recognize the cap-that-fits!    
The course lasted about 6 months and I emerged with a Level 2 TESOL Certificate with Business, assured this would guarantee good pension subsidies over the channel.
Well I was right, it could.     
I am now listed with several language hosting companies, who place French students with families for a week of intensive English language submersion.    We hosted successfully last year and it is lucrative, although a shed load of work!   
Since then I have not pushed very hard to find paid work as ironically I think my French language is not good enough and I am too busy pottering to commit to anything with set hours!
I have though kept busy with voluntary work.   
I run the local Franglais group which has been a great success, and also tutor privately on both a 1:1 basis and in a group.    I enjoy this immensely and feel I am giving something back to France even if it just local people speaking 'English' with a grand Scottish accent!   Och aye the noo!

No comments:

Post a Comment