Friday 30 May 2014

Val's daughter and granddaughter


Last November (2013) I lost a very good and amusing friend who passed away very suddenly.   I did a little Blog then -  My friend Val.

We realised this week that Val's daughter Sharon and her granddaughter Lily lived not too far away from where we were staying near Cannes.   We got in touch and arranged to meet.   I had never met them before but felt like I knew a bit about them.    I remember how fondly Val spoke about them, especially about Lily.   

Within a short time I could see so much of Val in Sharon, and in Lily.    Lily is 10 and has the wonderful mischievousness and sense of humour that we all loved in Val.   Just the way she holds her head, the glint in her eye....   It was a poignant meeting, but so sweet and great to share some funny memories.

Sharon and Lily and wee gremlin oops, dog


I was telling Sharon that after we moved to France I was forever getting text messages from Val but sent in error!   They were for her lifelong friend and next door neighbour, another Maggie.    They used to say things like 'see you in the Hilltop (pub) in 5'.    I used to reply 'I don't think so Val, unless I can get a  flight to Thornton'    I saw her a few times when we popped back to the UK but never got any text messages meant for me, except once.    Just the week before she died.
so like her granny
  


Another memory was from when I first met Val and she was (typically as it turned out) dressed as a chicken.    No-one else was dressed up, it was not a fancy dress occasion, but she just wanted to do it to mark someone's birthday and that was what she was like all her life.

I wonder if Lily will be in a chicken outfit one day?   I am sure she will!!





No comments:

Post a Comment