Sunday 27 April 2014

Play it again Sam?



The weather during the cruise was superb for the last few days of March and we found ourselves stretched out of the deck enjoying some sunshine yesterday. It’s a bit blustery today (31st March) but we are in the Atlantic! Casablanca was disappointing – modern buildings (I expected something more old world shabby chic) looking very run down and poor but we were in the port area. We were tormented by market stall traders selling the usual trash and there was not an iota of charm to make it memorable.    Even McDonalds failed us when we tried to use their WiFi (but the McFlurries were as good as ever).     Some other passengers went on day trips to Marrakesh or around Casablanca, which sounded ok – but we usually avoid ‘day tripping’ excursions as being poor value for money.     I don’t think any of us would consider coming to CB again – shame.    It looked like they could have done so much more to make it appealing to tourists.  There was some building work going on and it looked like it might be a ‘tax free’ shopping mall in the making but it will take a lot more than that to make it an attractive destination.    
 I had been hoping for something reminiscent of Humphrey Boggart and his famous line ‘play it again Sam’ in the film Casablanca.  


Of course this is well-known as one of the most widely misquoted lines from films!!      The actual line in the film is 'Play it, Sam'.      Something approaching 'Play it again, Sam' is first said in the film by Ilsa Lund (Ingrid Bergman) in an exchange with the piano player 'Sam' (Dooley Wilson):

Ilsa: Play it once, Sam.     For old times' sake.
Sam: I don't know what you mean, Miss Ilsa.
Ilsa: Play it, Sam.    Play "As Time Goes By." 
Sam: Oh, I can't remember it, Miss Ilsa.    I'm a little rusty on it.
Ilsa: I'll hum it for you. Da-dy-da-dy-da-dum, da-dy-da-dee-da-dum...
Ilsa: Sing it, Sam.
Sam: No, I don't.

The line is usually associated with Humphrey Bogart and later in the film his character Rick Blaine has a similar exchange, although his line is simply 'Play it':

Rick: You know what I want to hear.
Rick: You played it for her, you can play it for me!
Sam: Well, I don't think I can remember...
Rick: If she can stand it, I can!     Play it!


Ah, they don’t make ‘em like that anymore (sigh)

No comments:

Post a Comment