Sunday 27 April 2014

More books


Tracey sent me a wonderful book for Christmas called ‘The Chicken Chronicles’ by Alice Walker – better known for writing the Colour Purple in the 1970s.      It was a great read and devoured in a day!    All about chickens and people – living, habits and pecking orders!.


Olive Farm Trilogy


I read them in a trice – lovely, lovely writing by Carol Drinkwater (the actress who is best known for her role as the first wife of James Herriot in ‘All Creatures Great and Small’).   Carol and her husband bought an old dilapidated Olive Farm in Provence in the 1980s.  The books tell the hilarious, sometimes tragic and very moving story of their renovations and successful triumph against many obstacles.    I liked it so much and raved about it, that we are going to take the caravan down to stay near the estate at a Gite Carol has recently renovated.  I am looking forward to meeting her and at least a glimpse of the Olive Farm.   I also want to visit many of the places she describes in her books.    Carol writes a lovely Blog: http://www.caroldrinkwater.com/category/blog

I am reading 'The Two of Us' (2004) by Sheila Hancock.     I don't normally go in for biographies much but since I have always admired them both.....    She lovingly tells the story of their lives, their breakthroughs into acting - and how they finally met, their marriage and of course the sad loss of John Thaw to cancer in 2002. 

No comments:

Post a Comment