Sunday 27 April 2014

I despair....



When we became resident here we knew that in order to access French medical services we each needed to apply for a Carte Vitale.   This is a photo-card with all your bio and medical history which can be produced anywhere to access medical care.    

This should have been straight forward but has been an administrative nightmare.     We applied in November 2012.   I finally received my Carte Vitale in January 2014 and Jeff still has only a temporary social care number!!    Ahhhhh.    There is a mountain of paperwork which I now need to wade through to try and find out where we are.   For some strange reason all my correspondence has come from Paris and Jeff’s comes from Angouleme.     Why? No-one knows.    

As euro citizens we are entitled to 70% healthcare cover and so we pay a top up to obtain 100% cover which includes all our prescriptions.    So far, having not needed healthcare in the UK for years, I have now had my right arm x-rayed 4 times, MRI scan to same and now getting physio.   We were summoned immediately we registered for the usual ‘over 50s’ routine checks and Jeff has physio for his neck pain (I never said he was a pain in the neck!!).   The standards of care are excellent.   If only we could obtain the elusive Carte Vitale for Jeff – ah but it’s only been 18 months!   

Madame, vous devez être patient?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment