Wednesday 12 August 2015

Back in harness!!

In December last year Jeff spotted an advert for English tutors needed at IPSA an air and space engineering university in Toulouse (l’école d’ingénieurs de l'air et de l'espace). 
 In short I started work there as a 'casual' in March and have loved every minute being 'back in harness', back in the world of work. 

The students are average age 21/22 and pleasingly 25% are women. They are lovely and very polite and keen to learn. Most have pretty good English language skills, so its a pleasure to help them improve through the use of good fun activities. There are a pool of about a dozen tutors and we are called the Piscine (french for swimming pool).

One week I thought it a bit funny that little groups of students kept gathering round me at break times asking me questions about Russia - What is Moscow like? emmmm....cold. How far is it from Moscow to St Petersburg? emmm.........about 200 miles?? (no idea). What is the cheapest food? emmmmm....noodles? McDonalds? Vodka??? (no idea)..... Then I found out that upon hearing my accent, most of the 140 first year students on the English immersion course thought I was 'Rooshian!!!'. So I am now Маргарита or Рита Asquith! he he he




No comments:

Post a Comment